While everyone knows how important it is to make regular visits to their dentist’s office, it’s not secret that many people still end up putting them off.
Waiting an extra month or a few extra weeks to make an appointment for convenience or financial reasons is one thing, but putting off a dentist visit when dealing with one of the following symptoms is something completely different and dangerous to your health.
Here are the top five dental symptoms you should never ignore:
1. Toothache- Besides being painful, toothaches can signify a wide variety of serious problems, ranging from a cavity to an abscess, impacted tooth or gum disease. A visit to the dentist following a toothache can help save the tooth, and help to identify the underlying cause of the problem before it gets worse.
2. Bleeding or Sore Gums- Many people know about gingivitis from mouthwash TV commercials, but fewer know about these potential symptoms and their link. Luckily, gingivitis is an early and reversible stage of gum disease that is treatable, so be sure to see a dentist if you experience these symptoms.
3. Jaw pain- This could be a precursor to many different possible ailments, with many possible causes such as teeth grinding, sinus problems, or an injury to the jaw. A dentist can determine the source of the problem through an exam and/or x-rays, so be sure to make a visit if you experience pain, popping or clicking in the jaw.
4. Sensitive Teeth- Many companies make products for sensitive teeth, but such products don’t address the root of the problem, which could be related to fractured teeth, worn tooth enamel or fillings, tooth decay and more. Be sure to see a dentist if the problem persists for an extended period of time.
5. Cracked or broken tooth- These can happen for a number of reasons, and are sometimes very hard to spot, even on x-rays. They can often be precipitated by pain while chewing and can lead to bigger problems in a short amount of time. If you suspect a broken tooth, be sure to contact your dentist right away.
Source: Mouth Healthy website from the American Dental Association http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/top-ten-dental-symptoms.aspx
1-877-Dr Teeth- (360) 740-6212
Town Center Dental
3 Locations - Chehalis, Wa -- Rochester, Wa -- Rainier, Or